Blogging The Oscars
I am having the weirdest night. Firefox — a program that almost never crashes — has crashed on me FOUR TIMES as I’ve tried to compose this. Here’s hoping we make it through this time.
Okay. Where was I?
I considered posting this on the Diary section of The Engine as I thought it would be fun if people could contribute as the night progressed, but The Engine isn’t the WEF; I still feel like a bit of an outsider over there and I’m not sure I have a good sense of what would fly. So here we go…
- Lucy Liu is ten kinds of charming. I feel like I need more Lucy Liu in my life;
- Patricia Field is apparently an old dude. That makes a certain kind of sense, I suppose, I just didn’t know;
- Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet both look stunning. What’s this about Blanchett playing Bob Dylan…?
- Was that Kristen Dunst in the frumpy gray frock? What’s with that girl? She’s so pretty. Why does she insist on looking like an old lady?
- When did I become such a Jewish mother?
- (In fairness, I only glimpsed the dress. I might not be as bad as I think. I bet it is though. She seems to have a thing for sacks.)
- I think Ellen’s doing a fine job thus far. Would it have killed her to have worn a tie, though? I mean, if you’re going to wear a suit, wear a tux. And do it up. It’s the Oscars;
- Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig: wow. They’re so… ideal. I wonder if they’re real or if I’m dreaming them;
- Aw. I loved Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine and I didn’t see Dreamgirls, but I’m a little bummed for Eddie Murphy. I had my fingers crossed for him;
- Who struck you as more joyless: Maggie Gyllenhaal or Ben Affleck?
- Oh holy crap! Baldy is Jack Nicholson! I wondered why they kept cutting back to that guy;
- I like Wes Anderson. The American Express campaign amuses me;
- Milena Canonero somehow managed to pull off that weird Col. Sanders thing;
- Tom Cruise. Ptooie. (Is that how you spell spitting? That man makes me want to spit.)
- Oooh! Ellen’s white suit! Now we’re talking;
- Oh, I heart Robert Downey, Jr. And sober? That man’s hot. The gray hair works for him. He was always cute — I have a mortifying soft spot for Heart and Souls — but now? Damn;
- Abhay, Dave and Ivan are blogging the Oscars over on the NYC Mech board. I’m not yet finished reading the first page, but thus far I disagree with Abhay on EVERYTHING, which is peculiar, as I have it in my mind that we generally agree. Apparently? Not so much;
- I suspect this is an unpopular opinion, but I really like the weird shadow dance troupe;
- Oh, I love when they Brill cream Clooney’s hair! Le sigh;
- Jennifer Hudson won. Yipee. I mean… I’m sure she’s lovely. But. Still;
- Wow. I forgot how young Clint Eastwood used to be;
- Is that Celine Dion? Hellooooo fast-forward;
- Eastwood speaks Italian?? Oh, damn;
- “Volver”-ine…? That’s awful;
- Maybe Dunst’s dress isn’t as bad as I thought… no… no, it is;
- WOW! But Jennifer Lopez’s dress is much, much worse! Neat!
- The Dreamgirls warble off… Where’s that remote?
- Wait, who’s the Dreamgirl that’s not Beyonce or Hudson? She’s gorgeous!
- HA HA HA HA Tivo switched over to Scrubs. I missed the end of the Oscars.