Lemons and Lemonade
Okay, so, Fred Phelps and his family of hateful bigots are getting a lot of press for their planned appearance at (or near?) the San Diego Comic Con. The man lives for attention and confrontation. If you see him there, don’t sneer, don’t scream, don’t confront, don’t point and laugh–DON’T ACKNOWLEDGE. Ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore, ignore…
EXCEPT! We need some help in the form of a time-keeper or two, letting us know exactly how long the patron saint of backwards thinking and his family manage to stand and scream in the California sun. Then, by all means, do stare–at your watch! Make a note of what time it is and alert the internet that they’re there/still there. (But do it quietly and from a polite distance, will you?) Go get yourself a cold drink and check back every now and then until we have an approximate time count. Like… here would be good. Or on Twitter, with the hashtag #godlovesbatman
Why? Because in the spirit of love, we are pledging to donate $50 to amfAR if Phelps and his crew actually show up (often they don’t) and $10 an hour additional to amfAR for every hour they stay. And we’ll make our donation in Fred’s name.
We’d love you to join us.
(And we’d really love to be able to post a tally of how much we’ve raised.)
Repost far and wide, my pretties.
EDITED TO ADD:
- We’ll be donating to amfAR, but Sam and Ginny have both suggested the Human Rights Campaign. Either seems appropriate.
- Looks like the WBC is only scheduled for 45 minutes. (Lightweights!) If that’s the case, we’ll round up to $100–but times are tough and you shouldn’t feel like you have to do the same or not participate. $7.50 is better than nothing. $57.50 is peachy and cute.
- There seems to be some confusion–you don’t need to be at SDCC to pledge. We’re doing an online donation via this link.
EDITED ONCE AGAIN:
- I’m told the HRC is quite controversial within the LGBT community for their treatment of the “T” part of the LGBT. Dirk Deppey suggests the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force instead (Click the big pink DONATE button on the upper right). We have chosen amfAR, but honestly, folks, there are a ton of appropriate charities from the CBLDF (the WBC folks are fond of litigation, as it happens, and they are accusing us of idol worship) to smaller local groups like UCan in Chicago. (With any charitable organization, do your research.) What matters is that you take a message of hate and you turn it into a LOVING ACTION. Get it? Some assholes go and scream about God’s wrath and BAM! somewhere on the other side of the world, somebody gets a pill they need that they might not have gotten otherwise.
- Another suggestion I loved was to match the WBC’s time with your time. So if they spend 45 minutes screaming and yelling, maybe you spend 45 minutes making phone calls to your elected officials making clear your position of support for LGBT civil rights initiatives. Or you volunteer for an hour at a food bank. Or whatever. Get creative; you people are amazing.